Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year/New Opportunities

I've changed my beliefs over the years from New Year's Day being the one day to review my life and make resolutions for change going forward, to every day being a possibility for this.
Just one day into the first non-holiday business week of the new year and there's already an opportunity to get my name in the hat for narrating audio books for a new publisher, for which I've been in the booth just now selecting material (under 5 minutes) to have my agent submit on my behalf (and review and tweak my acting resume, which I did on my new MacPro laptop uploading my existing MS Word doc into Pages for the first time with no problem.)
I quickly decided on some material from one of the books for Audible I did earlier last year, but did not like the way I sounded so I re-recorded it.  Then, I went back to the initial email from my union (SAG-AFTRA) and to the website for the material narrators are being sought out and found a small passage from one of the books, and recorded that as well.  Combined, my narrations came in around 3 1/2 minutes ("Always leave them wanting more…") I'm going to be sending that off to my agent with my resume shortly.
That "audition" plus my payment to Pat Fraley in LA to begin some one-on-one voice-over correspondence coaching geared towards long-form narration makes me feel just enough productive in my career for the day as to not feel like I'm bored and just waiting around for the phone to ring, or in the modern day case, email to pop up.
It is a snow day today for my son who was supposed to go back to school after a two-week hiatus and another opportunity to hang out with him (which we have been doing a lot of this morning watching RIPD and eating snacks.)
Completely non-related but on my mind too is the thought that life is really not about keeping the peace, but keeping peaceful navigating all the twists and turns of the river we ride upon - the unexpected twists and turns.  As with snow days, changing school plans, travel, and so on.
Opportunities here too for new perspectives and thoughts on it all.  Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment