Wednesday, January 8, 2014

June 12, 1992

After unsuccessfully trying to post about my friend's Mick and Molly's website blog My Precious Roommate soon to be segmented on the Rachel Ray show (congratulations you guys!), I'm posting instead a bit from my journal, written during my early acting days in Chicago.

June 12, 1992
I met Paula Poundstone today.  Well, talked  to her.  She was at the counter at Ed's (Ed Debevic's restaurant.)
I walked up and said, "Hi.  How are your cats?"
She said, "Fine.  I just got another one."
I said, "Isn't it funny how total strangers know so much about your life?"
She said, "I wish my cats knew how many people asked about them."
I said how I saw her joke about cats and moths and how I have two, and was telling my fiance about how they'll see a bug on the wall and it freaks me out.
Joe (fellow Ed's server) was like, "Paula?  Paula who?  Oh, you mean Elaine Boosler."
She was cool and laughed.
Then she said she was just reading 100 reasons to hate George Bush in Spy Magazine and I told her how funny she was on Leno with the puppets, and Joe was like, "Who?  Oh, Joan here."  She laughed.
Fantasy Story
Okay.  So, I gave up my shift (at Ed's) and I was walking to the bus and she (Paula) pulled up beside me and said, "Hey, weren't you just in Ed's?"  And, I said, "Yes," and she goes, "You want a ride?" and I said, "Sure - how far north?" and she said (as I'm in the car) "Do you know any cheap movie places around here?" And I tell her about the Three Penny Cinema.
So, we go have coffee over there and then see some movie - Basic Instinct - which I've already seen, but, hey, it's Paula Poundstone I'm keeping company.
So her friend she's staying with overnight lives in Lincoln Park by me and we go there and I tell her how I just wrote to my friend in LA about visiting and she gives me her number and address and we arrange for me to stay with her for two weeks in November.
Cool, huh?
Maybe I'll send it to Reader's Digest.
Meeting Paula: How My Life Changed Forever.  Or,
Cats: A Common Interest.  Or,
That Damned Yeast Thing: A Female Bonding.
Okay.
Reality Check.
On a bus to my apartments coming from my waitress job.
Just checking.
Me as Wilma the waitress when I worked at the Chicago Ed Debevic's in the early 1990's.



No comments:

Post a Comment