Monday, February 10, 2014

FREE VOICE-OVER LESSONS: BASICS/PROFESSIONAL PROTOCOL PT.3

I discontinued voice-over training and coaching, and for years still received inquiries about how to start a voice-over career (which simply has no concise response.)  While no longer teaching, I have decided to post increments from my Basics Training Event Workbook here, with a link to an audio track narrated by me.  It's my hope to help those interested in learning more about voice-over and what's involved in starting a career.

The sixth in the series of voice-over basics is the 3rd of 3 posts on Professional Protocol, addressing Session Etiquette and Professional Apology. 

TCVO Presents…

SPRING INTO VOICE-OVER!

© Teri Clark Linden, 2014



PROFESSIONAL PROTOCOL



Attitude (See previous blog "Basics/Professional Protocol Pt. 1)

Teri’s Golden Rules (See previous blog "Basics/Professional Protocol Pt. 2)
Session Etiquette
Professional Apology


Session/Audition Etiquette
It’s a party: You’re invited!
Arrive on time
Ask questions
Everyone is right
Read the situation

Professional Apology

Pamela Lewis (author of Talking Funny For Money) introduced me to the idea of “Professional Apology,” and I want to pass it on to you.

Confidence is key to coming across at the microphone successfully.  No one likes to feel intimidated or insecure and certainly when we make mistakes feel bad for it.  We are human.  We make mistakes.  Or, we make choices we think are brilliant only to get the feedback that they weren’t, and could we please do something else?  Whatever the case, don’t take it personally and crumble.  Pamela suggests using the following sentence with the intention of Professional Apology:

Professional Apology Practice Script


“I’m sorry.  Let me try that again for you.”


Practice breaking this into two different thoughts, with the first thought being, “Oh, I’m so sorry!  I’ve had eight bookings already this morning and I’m fried!”  The second thought is a completely sincere, while smiling, “Let me try that again for you.”  Now with the first thought, you don’t want to come across arrogant by any means.  It’s just one of those mornings, where you have been so busy ‘where is your head?’ and ‘let’s get it back on now!’  Don’t crumble or come across as insecure and weak either.  Smiling while you say anything at the microphone always makes what you are saying come across with a smile too.  Practicing professional apology will keep you out of a self deprecating place and into a professional one.
© Teri Clark Linden, 2014





No comments: