Monday, January 13, 2014

Remembering Ernie & Randy

My friend and wonderful actor & writer Randy Godwin is the reason for me having known, and twice worked with (albeit briefly) legendary actor Ernest Borgnine.

I was understudying my first play at the Purple Rose Theatre in Chelsea, Michigan, Blithe Spirit, and sitting outside the green room talking to Randy during one of the long times in the show he wasn't on stage.  Randy told me he was going to be in a film starring Ernest Borgnine and shooting up north in Traverse City.  It was called Barn Red and directed by Michigan film maker Rich Brauer.  Several of the Purple Rose actors were also in the film.  I told Randy I'd pay just to be an extra to be on set around Ernie.  Randy suggested I send Rich a note and my resume and mention Randy.  I did.  I didn't have to pay, but did get an extra role for one day as a Towns person at a Town Hall meeting, which happened to be the day Ernest Borgnine was delivering a pinnacle speech in the story.

I drove up with other Purple Rose actors the night before the shoot and only got about three hours sleep.  Though I was an extra I was treated as the rest of the speaking role Day Players (many of whom were my friends) and given a full copy of the script, and lodging.  During the filming I sat in front of Ernie and on each break I got to hear him share little bits and insights about his life, many of which were old Hollywood tidbits and also about his time in the Navy.  What a gift.  Then at lunch, I sat at his table - this big round table with a bunch of actors and crew - and listen again to Ernie recount tales from different parts of his career: Being on the set of Bad Day at Black Rock with Spencer Tracy and having to leave to go audition for Marty in front of Paddy Chayefsky (doing the "Blue Suit" scene for that audition) and Spencer Tracy remarking, "Hey, why does this guy get to leave?  Who is the star of this picture anyway?"  Or, receiving a telegram the day after winning the Oscar for Marty telling him he should give it back and it should have gone to James Dean (who'd just died and was up for Best Actor for Grapes of Wrath.)  Priceless.

I watched Rich shoot Ernie's big moment where he stood up in the middle of the town's people Town Hall meeting and gave a very impassioned speech.  Then I watched as he stayed for every one of the other actor's close-ups and acted his part off camera as if the camera were still one him.  Then, he took pictures and signed autographs for the room afterwards.  I saw a man who really enjoyed what he did for a living. At the end of it all, I was included in the gift-giving of which the best was a full company photo (myself included) with Ernest Borgnine which I have framed and hanging on my office wall.  I adore that photo.  It's full of so many talented actors and friends.

Randy wrote the first play at the Purple Rose I appeared in called Hope For Corky.  This was right before Blithe Spirit and where I really got to know him.  In the play I played many different parts, one of which was a hospital radiation tech who gives the leading man chemotherapy, and does so completely clueless to how he is feeling and with utter ambivalence to his cancer.  ("I have cancer," said  the man.  "Cool.  I'm going to the Phish concert," I replied.)  Randy actually enhanced this scene after I shared with him a similar personal story I'd had earlier that year with a nurse who despite all my recent visits up to and after my miscarriage, asked me if I'd had any exciting plans for the weekend while she was drawing blood for my latest hormone levels.  Randy gave me an opening night card where he wrote, "I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to tell everyone that I discovered you."  He went onto write he loved watching me, my work was fantastic and I should, "feel proud" about what I created because I had been a very big part of making his play what it is.  I keep that note in my desk drawer.

Randy was at the audition for his play, which was the first audition I'd been called in for at the Purple Rose.  He was integral in getting me on that stage and integral in getting me on Rich Brauer's set, twice.  The second time was for Frozen Stupid three years later, again starring Ernest Borgnine (this was Ernie's third picture for Rich.)  Again I was mailed a full script and invited to stay the night before and also to dinner with the company and crew the night before the first day of filming.  Again, I was seated at Ernie's table.  Again, I got to work on a scene with him, only this time, I was actually a part of the scene.  Randy and Ernie have a conversation at a bar.  I'm standing there ordering a beer.  Ernie doesn't believe Randy's BS story and turns to me and asks something like, "Do you believe this guy?  Is he for real?"  I roll my eyes (part actually described as "eye-roller" in script) and walk away.  Ernie delivers his next line to Randy off my action.

I got to do this several times, over and over again, standing a hairs breath away from Ernie, looking into his eyes, breathing, reacting, acting with one of film's greatest screen legends ever known.  One of the best moments (and acting classes) in my career.  And, it's on film.  Forever.  And, it's with Randy, who helped make it possible for me to be there.

After the shoot, Ernie again was sitting court enjoying the room enjoying him.  Letting folks take pictures and signing autographs.  Rarely do I seek autographs or take photos of actors or celebrities, but this time I did.  Sitting on Ernie's lap.  He exclaimed, "Someone take the damn picture already!  She's breaking my legs!"  It's a great picture.  We're both laughing and I think it was right after Ernie shouted that the photo was snapped.  When Ernie's autobiography came out a few years back I got it and read it right away.  I put it in an envelope with a copy of that photo and a note reminding him what he said.  At the post office dropping it off the postal worker looked at the address and then at me, and when I told him the story he said, "Do you think you'll get a reply?"  I said I did.  And, I did.  A week or so later.  It sits on my shelf.  Ernie inscribed, "To Teri, You're breaking my leg!  G'Bless and enjoy and thanks!  Ernie Borgnine."  It's really cool for me to have met him.  It's really cool for me to tell my son I worked with the voice of "Mermaid Man!"  Ernie passed away last year and he'd outlived Randy, who passed 6 years ago.  Lucky me for having know and worked with them both, for being immortalized on film in a scene (thank you Rich Brauer) doing what we all loved to do so much, and for having been given the generous gifts of Ernie and Randy.


No comments:

Post a Comment